Saturday, March 22, 2008

Bunnies and So Forth

The first time I was in a Church proper was for a funeral for a friend who killed himself when I was 21. It was February, and I think Easter was late April that year. Not that the situation's relevant to the point. I guess the point I mean to make is that I went a long time without much formal education on religion, you know, in a religious setting. So, like many (even church goers) my understanding of Christmas was that you got presents under a tree and a fat old man brought candy and put it in your socks, and at Easter there was a rabbit that brought you eggs and chocolate. Eventually I found out that it had something to do with the bible (allegedly had something to do with the bible, anyway, and no doubt thanks in large part to St Augustine's doctrine of assimilating pagan traditions into the body of Catholic worship).

As it happens, I always loved Easter, although I think it was more to do with Spring than the bizarre pagan traditions that had been somehow subsumed body and soul into Christian pseudo-dogmatic practice. The chocolate and egg salad helped, yes, but Spring was the main attraction. Now, as an adult with an English degree, I make use of my schooling by grinning wryly at the paradox of Easter's most prevalent side-product (in the US anyway) - the Deviled Egg.

Again, rather irrelevant. But the point is that the Spring is now upon us, Jesus either did (if you believe) rise from the grave and ascend to Heaven, or did not (if you don't believe, duh). I reserve judgment, having yet to be convinced one way or the other. But regardless of your faith, and regardless of Eliot's theories on the relative cruelty of months, it is undeniably about to be Spring, and that should make us all happy. Spring is new beginnings, of course, and therefore, I offer you a prediction of a new vision. That pagan bunny that came to celebrate the resurrection of Christ and the salvation of our souls left this prediction in the form of an egg. Maybe it would be more accurate to call it a divination, what with it seemingly involving the occult. Whatever you call it, how can you argue with an egg left by a rabbit who reminds us of the salvation of our collective souls from the previously unredeemable damnation of Original Sin by hiding hard boiled eggs and marshmallows shaped like chicks in our yards?





No comments: